An Online Venue for Interactive Student Writing

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Student Poetry

We've just finished a unit on poetry. We broke it down the following way:
1. Although some people don't realize this, poetry doesn't have to rhyme.
2. Poetry, like all writing, is a special form of art.
3. Sometimes, in poetry, it's okay to break the rules of English, as long as it was purposeful, and done for effect.
4. Poetry is AWESOME!

Here's a poem I wrote for my students:

The seven best alive
Are quiet as can be
I witness as they strive
To attempt geometry
I giggle at their eyes
They're squinting, deep in thought
Like undercover spies
They're absorbing what I've taught
And so stand to leave
I'm feeling like a drink
But since I'm not naive
I give a knowing wink
It says, "I'm stepping out
You should know what is at stake
If open up your mouth
I will not cut a break"
But I didn't underscore
Before I left the room
That to shut and lock the door
Would bring a horrid doom
But there was something they didn't see
As the door behind me closed
I had an extra key
Hidden in my nose

Mr. Zork - Teacher

STUDENT POETRY

Once I made a riddle
And I made it little
I made a wooden fiddle
That tasted like a skittleĀ®

A. Henderson - 3rd grade

I once had a stinky friend
Whose stench would never end
So I offered him some sanitizer
Because it's a great neutralizer
When there's a stinky problem, I will always tend

Flying by so fast
The fans are cheering a name
Ten seconds to go

A. DeWitt 8th grade

Swords, sheilds, and crossbows
Help me with this injured man
Launch it now! Cling, clang

Snow is in my face
Snow is every where in the air
Smash, smash, fire away

W. Gardner - 4th grade

There once was a fish
That made a big wish
In a great ocean
With some hand lotion

I really do like grade school
My friends think I'm a fool
The best subject is English
I am also very selfish

C. Powell - 4th grade

Amazing dirt bike
Speeding like lightening bolts
Mud smeared red and black

I once had a friend named Bert
And he really liked to flirt
With a puny little squirt
in a bulky fat dress skirt
Then he drank some ginger ale
While looking at the richter scale
He thought he saw a killer wale
With a bow tie on his tail

L. Henderson - 5th grade

I tried to have some fun
At my best friend's house
We played a video game
But it was sort of lame
It was about a mouse

Tiredness spreading
Eyes like heavy Cadillacs
Lips very drooly

Go to Florida soon
Spring is getting warmer now
Have a fun time there

A. Clements - 6th grade

I pulled the fire alarm
While at my Grandpa's farm
He thought there was a fire
I guess I was a liar

H. Powell - 2nd grade

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home